Monday, September 30, 2013

Worst Phone Call EVER!!!

I spent the following week trying to get back into a regular routine. It didn't help that I walked like an 80 year-old and could barely do the basics; i.e. take a shower...thank God for a loving mother. See, my surgery was suppose to be done laproscopically, which just means they make small abdominal incisions and remove the tumor by going in with tiny tools and a camera...pretty cool when all goes well. However, because my tumor was as big as a BASKETBALL, the tiny hole wasn't going to cut it. Along with the small incisions,  Dr. Lee ended up having to make a transverse incision in my lower abdomen, which is basically like getting a c-section. In other words, I gave birth to my alien baby via c-section lol. The recovery time can be anywhere from 4-8 weeks for an open abdominal surgery. Dr. Lee predicted my recovery time would be on the shorter end because I'm young and otherwise healthy. 

One week after surgery, I graduated from walking like an 80 year-old to maybe a 65 year-old. I still couldn't stand up straight and it still hurt like hell to laugh but I was starting to feel better. It was a Tuesday afternoon, my mom bought Chick-fil-A for lunch :-) so my inner fat kid was happy. We were just eating, talking and laughing, when I received a phone call. I knew from the caller ID that it was someone from my doctors office so I reluctantly picked up. "Hello?," I quietly answered. "Yes, Crystal this is Dr. Lee...," I knew from there it was not a good phone call. You see Doctors don't usually call patients unless there is something going on. "Are you busy? Is this a good time to talk? You're not driving are you?" she asked. "No, I'm just eating lunch with my mother.," and I placed the phone on speaker as I anticipated what was to come. What she told me was enough to take my appetite away. The final pathology report came in and the findings turned out to be that my tumor was malignant. I had an immature teratoma and Dr. Lee stated I would need to begin chemotherapy. She wanted to meet with the pathologist and some of her colleagues to discuss plan of care and I was to meet with her the following week. 

Great more waiting :*(

No comments:

Post a Comment