Friday, September 27, 2013

It all Starts to Sink in

After my initial doctor's appointment, I was scheduled for a CT scan, ultrasound, sonogram, and labs....a lot right? Needless to say my Gynecologist was very thorough. I had to wait a few days for my test results. Being patient has never been my forte, but I'm working on it. My tests were scheduled on a Thursday and it was Labor Day weekend so I did not hear back until the following Tuesday. A nurse finally called me with my results. She casually informed me that my doctor's suspicions were correct and that he felt more confident that the tumor was malignant. She asked me to come in later that day to meet with their oncologist and to have some more labs drawn. I'm not sure if it was the casualness in her conversation or the fact that she mentioned the word "oncologist," but I was extremely nervous. The first phone call I made after speaking with the nurse was to my mother. "Hey ma, so I just received the call from my nurse," and I immediately began balling my eyes out. I was so scared and frightened that I did not want to face the oncologist alone. My mother, being the prayer warrior that she is, began praying. I promise I don't know where I would be without that woman's prayers. She helped to lift my spirits and gave me the strength I needed to face my fears. I think it hurt my mom that she could only comfort me through the phone and she suggested I try and bring a friend to my appointment.

So I sent a text to my friend, Raina, and asked her if she could come to a doctor's appointment with me. At the time Raina did not know what was going or why I asked but her immediate response was yes. We get to the doctor's office and were told the oncologist was booked for the day and I would have to schedule an appointment for later that week. After I had built the confidence and brought a support partner, I was very disappointed that I had to wait even longer. I asked to speak with my Gynecologist so that I could find out why he felt my tumor was malignant. He explained that after reviewing my CT scan that the tumor appeared to be dense and also have some calcification (calcification usually=cancer.) So, in addition to meeting with the oncologist,  he scheduled a MRI and additional labs. It was hard to digest all of what he was saying...thank God Raina was with me. She cleverly suggested, "let's get some drinks!!"

Scared, frightened, and nervous for what was to come; drinks were exactly what I needed!!




No comments:

Post a Comment