Friday, September 27, 2013

My Health takes Priority

At the oncologist's office I sat and waited with my friend Effie. We waited for about 2 hours!!! Told ya'll how my patience is. Anyway, so they finally call my name and everything became so surreal. I began telling her my story and I remember sitting in front of her, thinking to myself, "How did I get here?" I wanted so bad to convince myself that they had somehow switched my test results with someone much older than me. How could I possibly have cancer? I worked out regularly, tried to eat healthy, and went to the doctor faithfully. There was no way that I could have cancer, certainly not me! Ladies and gents, cancer has no respect of person. It aims to destroy the young and old, as a friend once told me. The doctor told me that I would need surgery, preferably sooner than later. The tumor appeared to be growing rapidly and they did not want to prolong treatment. It would not be until the tumor was surgically removed that they could tell me definitively that it was cancer.

Snapped back to reality, I knew I had to go home. Back to North Carolina where I could have the support of my family. There was no way I could have surgery alone. I asked for all of my medical records and test results so that I may take them to an oncologist in NC. Everything began happening so fast it was so hard to digest. Looking back I probably should have left that weekend to go back home but at the time I was focused on the wrong things. I found myself concerned with leaving my job and canceling my contract. I did not want to have to pay to get out of the rest of my two week contract (yeah only 2 weeks left, I know). I eventually realized that my health was wayyyyy more important than work. I called my recruiter and my nurse manager and they were so understanding. I felt like a fool for not saying something to them sooner. They were both equally understanding and I was able to go home a week early.

No comments:

Post a Comment