Thursday, January 9, 2014

Time to Get Back to Work

There are plenty of books dedicated to help you deal with cancer and how to continue to live a normal life. Reading a book and actually experiencing real life situations are however, completely different. Being out of work during treatment has been a struggle. Struggling with the question of , When should I go back to work?Do I try and work as I'm going through treatment? Will I be able to work as I'm going through treatment? Should I wait until after the holidays to start looking for work? Should I wait until I am cancer free before I apply?  All very valid questions but no one could really advise me on what I should do.

Two things I was sure of. #1. I did not want to continue working as a traveling nurse. I had promised myself that I would only travel for a year which I was able to accomplish before learning of my tumor. #2. I wanted a position that coincided with my career goals. Right around Thanksgiving I began applying for jobs at surrounding hospitals. It took about a month before I started to hear back and was asked to interview. I was excited and nervous because it had been so long since I have had an interview. 

Now that I was being called for interviews, I was faced with more questions. Do I tell them I have cancer? Should I rock my baldie to the interview? How do I explain my gap of employment? All these questions were starting to drive me CRAZY!! I finally decided to go into these interviews wearing my wig and looking as strong and healthy as possible. I wanted to be selected for the position for my work ethic and not because they felt sorry for me. On the other hand I did not want them to see me as weak and unable to perform the expected job duties. I decided not to bring up my condition in any way and I focused on highlighting why I would be a great asset to the team. My interview went well and I was never questioned about my gap of employment. Literally two hours after my interview I was offered the job!! I DID IT!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment